Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure in which the hair follicles are removed from the donor area and planted on the receipt site. Usually, the back and sides of the head (occiput) are considered to be the donor area, and the thinning or balding areas of the scalp (frontal) called the receipt area. This is a lifelong sustaining process because the hair follicles taken from the back of the head are genetically resistant to baldness, regardless of where they are relocated or planted. This is the most sought after procedure today to regain one’s lost hair.
Hence, hair transplant is a permanent medical solution to hair loss problems.
There are two methods of hair transplant: FUE & FUT. FUE is the most common and popular hair transplantation
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT):
FUT is one of the oldest methods and also known as the strip method of hair transplantation. In this technique the strip of scalp hairs are removed from the backside of the head and the wound is closed using sutures or staples. As the excised strip is dissected into individual follicular grafts using stereomicroscope and then implanted to the receipt site one by one.
It leaves a linear scar behind the head which is not cosmetically accepted.
Follicular unit extraction (FUE): This technique is the most popular and advanced hair transplant surgery done for male or female pattern baldness. It is a minimally invasive hair transplantation technique, which involves removing or extraction of individual follicular unit directly from the back of scalp using a specialised machines and implanting or grafting them one-by-one into the bald/thinning (previously made slits by small needle) areas of the head. Though it is time-consuming process but avoids linear scars like FUT.
Hence the advances in the concept of using follicular unit grafts have evolved to give you natural-looking and undetectable hair transplants results.
Herewith, we at Hair Rich & Clear Skin perform only FUE hair transplant.
Mostly the donor sites are back and sides of the head, though beard hair, body hairs, and axillary or pubic hairs are also can be taken to restore the severe baldness.
Back and sides of the head (occipital and temporal areas) remain unaffected by baldness, as these hairs are not genetically susceptible to the action of DHT.
Advantages of FUE over FUT:
· FUE is minimally invasive.
· Absolutely natural-looking or undetectable hair transplant.
· Unlike FUT, the hair follicles can be harvested from other unusual areas like beard or body.
· Scars are not visible and heal well with small dots, unlike FUT linear scar.
· Donor site heals well with small dots, which your existing hair will cover.
· Complications during the procedure are very minimal.
· Post-post-operative pain is little.
· Can resume their daily activities soon after the surgery.
Postoperative Instructions for FUE:
As the hair transplant is performed under local anesthesia. The post-operative discomfort will be minimal. Take the prescribed medicine regularly to prevent infection for 5 to 7 days.
IMMEDIATELY POST OP
· A spray bottle and a normal saline are given; spray the transplanted and the donor area every hour for the first 12 hours, while doing this place some towels around your shoulders.
· Do not try to touch the transplanted hair
· Drink plenty of water during this time and take fluids or juices.
· Do not drive the vehicle immediately after surgery.
· Immediately after surgery, the surgical area (donor & receipt area) may be little soreness, swelling, numbness and dizziness or little oozing or bleeding, don’t get panic.
DAY 1 to DAY 3
· After surgery, during these days, spray 1-2 hourly while you are awake.
· Spraying of normal saline prevents scab formation on the transplanted and donor area. The transplanted grafts need to be kept hydrated, as, this is essential for their survival.
· Attend the clinic on 3rd day for shampooing.
DAY 4- DAY 14
· On day 4, you can start mild or a tea tree shampoo regime on day 4
· Take a clean bowl with luke-warm water and add 10 ml of shampoo, mix it up till it is soapy and pour the solution over the transplanted area and the donor area, and rinse off with plain luke-worm and pat gently with a clean towel. Advise once a day till day 14.
· Allow drying the hair naturally, do not try to dry the hair with a towel or blower dry your hair.
· It is advisable to avoid strenuous physical activity for 2 weeks postoperatively.
DAY 14 AND AFTER
· Start using minoxidil after day 14 to enhance the growth, only at night till 6 month.
· You may return to your normal hair washing with previous shampoo, wash the hair vigorously using both hands this will remove any crusts in the area.
AFTER 3 WEEKS
· After 3 weeks, the hair will start to shed, being a normal sign.
· At 3 to 4 weeks, you may get your hair cut, color your hair, and resume using products like gels and hair sprays.
· Between 3-6 months, the hair will start growing from the implanted area.